Kit Li
Last Friday, I travelled to Amsterdam for the 8th World Traditional Medicine Forum & World Traditional Chinese Medicine Services Trade Conference 2026 (第八届世界传统医药论坛暨世界中医药服务贸易大会). Around 500 attendees came together from across the world, united by a shared interest in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
The conference welcomed guests from the World Health Organization (WHO), the Chinese Embassy in the Netherlands, and organisations representing traditional medicine and acupuncture. Among those attending were Kim Seung-cheol, Dong Zhilin, Liu Baoyan, Yang Jinsheng, Harm Elsinga, Ma Jun, Esther Buquet, Wen Yongxin and Han Ruiqing.
With cancer care through a TCM approach as a central theme, the two days gave me the chance to hear how practitioners in different countries approach their work. I also had the pleasure of meeting the forum’s director and committee members, along with professors, practitioners and students. I came away with new ideas to explore and, just as importantly, new friendships that I hope will grow well beyond Amsterdam.
The first day began with an inspiring opening ceremony. Two presentations stayed with me: one by Professor Winston Huang, who spoke about the Huang Thousand-Step Pulse Diagnosis, and another by neuro-acupuncture expert Professor Linda Hao.
It was an encouraging example of what thoughtful, coordinated care can look like. Afterwards, I was grateful for the chance to speak briefly with Professor Hao and tell her about my volunteer work as a neuro-acupuncturist at the hospice, where I offer patient-centred TCM support to people living with cancer. Her kind words and encouragement have stayed with me. I left with much to reflect on and even more motivation to keep learning and developing my work.
I was especially pleased to attend a presentation by my mentor, Professor Tiejun Tang, on the role and possible mechanisms of TCM in cancer care. His discussion of how Chinese herbal medicine may support patients during chemotherapy gave me new ideas to consider in both clinical practice and research. I always learn something from his teaching, and this talk was no exception.
The programme also covered pain management, tongue diagnosis, gynaecology and paediatrics. Hearing such a range of perspectives made the day all the more stimulating, and I left with plenty to reflect on.
Beyond the presentations, I explored several demonstrations of new TCM products. One that caught my attention was an AI-assisted four-diagnostic device. It was new to me, although I understand it has already been available in parts of Asia, including Hong Kong.
I tried a consultation that took about five minutes. The device scanned my face and tongue, assessed my pulse, and asked a few general questions before producing a detailed report. I was surprised by how much information it presented in such a short time. It was fascinating to try, and it left me curious about how its findings compare with a practitioner’s assessment.
I’m sincerely grateful to the organisers for inviting me to present, and to everyone who listened, asked questions and shared their experiences. I came home with fresh perspectives and renewed motivation to keep learning.
What made the conference especially memorable were the people. It was a joy to meet others who share my passion for TCM and my commitment to caring for patients, to exchange ideas and to form new friendships. I hope the connections we made in Amsterdam will continue to grow.
Reference:
第八届世界传统医药论坛暨世界中医药服务贸易大会在阿姆斯特丹: https://www.tmbos.org/index/article/view/id/41023.html

No comments:
Post a Comment